Use the following checklist to ensure that your application packet is complete:
- Application to graduate study.
- Application for Virginia in-state tuition (if applicable), which is found at the end of the online application.
- Personal statement. Send to the appropriate graduate program address or submit it in the “Statement of Purpose” section of the online application. You do not need to submit the personal statement both ways.
- Application fee for $50 paid by credit card at the end of the online application or paid by check or money order after the online application is submitted.
- References (three, unless otherwise stated by your department) may be submitted by email or in hardcopy.
- Applicant’s referee(s) can email their recommendations to GRADIMAG@vcu.edu. Email subject line must include full name of applicant and the program to which applicant is seeking admission. Reference forms and letters (as PDF or Word document) should be included as attachments. If sending reference letters by email, a hard copy is not necessary. Please note: This email submission is for reference letters only. Do not submit other documentation using this email address.
- Hard copy reference letters and forms may be mailed in sealed envelopes signed across the seal by the referees. Send hard copy references to the appropriate graduate program address.
- School of the Arts applicants are required to submit references online.
- Official transcripts from all prior colleges or universities in sealed envelopes signed across the seal by official university or college registrars. All official transcripts in a language other than English must be accompanied by an official English translation. The Graduate School reserves the right to request English translations of diplomas prior to granting admission.
- Official test scores, if required by the department, must be reported directly to the Graduate School by individual testing agencies. However, you may submit student copies pending VCU’s receipt of official scores from testing agency.
- Résumé, if requested by the department to which you are applying. Send to the appropriate graduate program address.
- Any required supplemental application materials required by individual programs. Send to the appropriate graduate program address. Please refer to your program’s website for this information.
- School of the Arts applicants required to submit a portfolio should use the School of the Arts online portfolio submission.
- School of Education applicants for elementary (Liberal Studies in Early, Elementary Education) or secondary education programs must take and pass the Praxis II and Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) in the semester prior to internship/student teaching. The deadline for internship applications is Sept. 15 for spring and Feb. 15 for fall. Please note: those wishing to take Praxis II and VCLA should consult the test administration dates and test score reporting dates so that they have, in hand, their scores by the internship application deadline dates. Information on registration is available online at http://ets.org/praxis/register for the Praxis II and www.va.nesinc.com/ for the VCLA.
Once complete, mail your hardcopy application materials to:
Virginia Commonwealth University
1001 Grove Avenue
P.O. Box 843051
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3051